Toward the end of my internship this week, I had an interesting conversation with my supervisor. I asked her which format the archive would be duplicating on to. She indicated that she had not yet decided, but there had been some discussion of the archive electing to use digital beta. Then, we started to discuss some of the issues of duplication. Specifically, if they have the films duplicated to digital beta, then the digital beta become the preservation master copies. Then, the archive would need to create access copies in some form or another. These copies would be what they used to present in exhibitions, make samples to put on the web, and so forth.
I’ve volunteered to come up with a plan for the duplication, determining how many duplicates they would need in order to maintain a preservation master and have an access copy. I am pretty confident about how to do this for preservation microfilming, but I am not sure if it will completely translate to moving image materials. I guess I’ll need to do some research into what the standard practice is for this sort of thing. I expect the Gracy book to helpful here, but I may need to expand my literature to some degree.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment