After my investigation last week of the storage conditions at the museum, I decided that investigating proper storage conditions for cellulose acetate films would be a priority. After some investigation into the literature I had gathered for the project, I have learned that both the macroenvironment (that is, the temperature and relative humidity of the storage space) and the microenvironment (the structure and type of enclosure, as well as any additives to the enclosure such as desiccants) can have an effect on the longevity of cellulose acetate films, particularly where vinegar syndrome may be present.
Because the films will not undergo any conservation treatments before the fall, it is unlikely that they will be put into any permanent storage in the meantime. Eventually, it would be nice to move them to a very cool, dry storage macroenvironment. The literature indicates that the proper macroenvironment can have the greatest impact on the reduction of acetic acid. In the meantime, though, the microenvironment could be improved in such a way that could help to preserve the films. For example, vented rather than sealed or open containers can improve the condition if the materials are not kept at colder temperatures. Also, desiccants such as zeolites or activated silica can impede chemical degradation. I hope to suggest that the Archive take these measures to help improve the microenvironments of the films in the time before the restoration begins.
No comments:
Post a Comment